Monday, January 14, 2013

Arpeggios for Guitar, dominant 7th chords (practice diary 1/14/13)


The very few left hand fingerings are the ones considered "non-optional," the ones I use to orient myself while improvising on these. To continue up the neck, when you come to F7, do Gb7 instead, and go back to the first one, but start on Ab7 instead of G7, and do the whole mess a half-step up. Gb7 to Ab7 rather than F7 to Ab7, just a sound thing...

There's nothing much new about another bunch of arpeggios though maybe the second set with blue notes might be a new way of looking at it. The main thing for me is the order, which seems to work better for retaining the info than doing them in the time-honored cycles of 5ths or 4ths (as I've always done on 4-string bass). This"scale-wise" way of doing arpeggios and scales achieves the same end of going through a set number of fingering patterns in some order that I can cycle through all the positions on the neck. Doing it this way seems to aid my retention better on guitar and 6-string bass, I don't know why.





These can be hard to print off this page clearly, so anyone who's interested in these may feel free to e me, and I'll be happy to email you the Jpegs.

No comments:

Post a Comment